For NaNoWriMo 2014 I wrote a story – working title Crush Flight – of roundabout 53.300 words. I was incredibly proud, not only because it was the first time that I had won NaNoWriMo, but also because of the story. It was good and I wanted to get it out there for everyone to read. Now I know many authors feel like that about their own stories, but just to clarify: I don’t nearly have the same feelings about the story I wrote for NaNoWriMo 2015.
Crush Flight was sent to my best friend and two other erotica authors. I received some feedback, all positive, which of course put even more smiles on my face. Other than that, nothing happened with Crush Flight. Until halfway the beginning of October 2015. I attended a book presentation at the end of September. That evening I learned that the Dutch publisher that was present too, also published English books. My mind started working…
Before I could even begin to form a plan in my head, the author whose book presentation I had attended informed me that she had recommended me at said Dutch publisher. All I needed to do was to send them a sample of my book, wait for about 7 weeks and then I would hear a yes or no. Yes, my book will be published, no they won’t publish my book.
I sent a sample of my book in the first half of October and decided not to start worrying about an answer until the end of November, seven weeks after I had sent the sample. I pushed all thoughts about Crush Flight to the back of my mind, trying not to be nervous about it. I succeeded quite well in this, until the end of November. Then I started worrying. It took another 10 days before I received an email, at 11pm: yes!
I could hardly believe my eyes. Many things happened after that, the most important being:
- my book will be mentioned in the publisher’s spring catalogue of 2016;
- I have signed the contract;
- I asked a very special lady if she would be a beta reader for my book and she said yes;
- I asked a very special man to write the foreword for my book and he said yes;
- a lovely and talented artist is designing the cover of my book;
- editing, editing, editing!!!
It’s really going to happen!
In the coming weeks, on this blog, I will:
- reveal the final title of my book;
- reveal the cover of the book;
- share several excerpts with you;
- inform you about the publication date.
Stay tuned for more news!
~ Marie A. Rebelle